Monday, August 18, 2008

The Whole Shebang

This is going to be a wrap-up from the trip with some of my favorite shots to guide us. It's going to be a long one, so bear with me.

When we first got into the city, we checked into our room in Mercer Hall on campus and walked the two blocks to see the arch at Washington Square. We were not disappointed.

The next morning was plagued with disappointments for Sophia and me. Rain - more like a torrential downpour, a broken umbrella, subway miscues and getting lost to name a few. So I needed a big time lift. When Erick came back from class, after shedding a few frustrated tears, I told him that I needed to see New York sites to inspire me or buy something. So we went for a long walk up Fifth Avenue (which starts at the Washington Square arch at 4th Street. We walked all the way up Fifth Avenue, past the Empire State Building

then over to Times Square on 42nd Street.

You do the math. It was a long walk, but just what I needed.We think that Sophia and I (well, just me really) probably averaged walking around 6 miles a day, and Erick 4 or 5. However, we ate enough sweets to make up for that.

When we got home, Sophia talked about all the cars honking outside our window. This is the corner of 3rd Street and Broadway.

The next day when Erick was through with class, we went on a cruise around the harbor and saw all of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. It was truly inspiring, even though Sophia was more than a little crazy on the boat.

The following morning, we went to Union Square Park and bought fresh fruit at the farmer's market. Here is Sophia washing the plum juice off in the fountain.

And here she is climbing in the playground at Union Square. This is where the squirrels were particularly squirrely.

It rained every day we were there. It was really only a problem that first morning. I bought a new umbrella, and we learned how to handle the unexpected rainstorms. Here was a common sight. Jumping over a big puddle at an intersection.

Erick and I both had sores on our feet simply because of wearing flip flops (or cric crocs as Sophia named Erick's Croc Flip Flops) with wet feet. Ouch.

On Friday, we went to see Ground Zero and the Financial District, then over to South Street Seaport for shopping and a look at the Brooklyn Bridge. While we were in the Financial District, Erick and I had our one directional disagreement. We were both tired by that point in the trip, and he was interested in seeing the bull that is in all the financial ads or whatever. Since I had no interest in seeing it, I was being disagreeable - possibly even sarcastic. It didn't help that we got a little lost trying to find it and then get headed back in the right direction. But, here's the bull in all its glory, just for Erick.

When we got to the South Street Seaport, which is just a fun shopping and historic district, we ate a nice meal and looked around. Here I am trying to get Sophia to smile at daddy.

Then we walked down to take a look at the Brooklyn Bridge. Our original plan was to ride the subway to Brooklyn and walk across to Manhattan, getting a better view of both. However, I think I've already mentioned the craziness of our toddler and the soreness of our feet. So here's the view we had.

And here we are. My favorite, by the way.

Also, I promised Erick I would tell this one funny story. Well, I suppose it's two stories with one theme. I have a problem with these particular turnstiles on the NY subway. (not my picture)

I would scan my metrocard, it would say go and unlock, then I'd walk forward - but in the wrong direction! So I'd have to come back and try again. Here's the rub. Once your card is scanned, you have to wait 18 minutes to scan it again. There are no do-overs. Amazingly enough, I did this on two separate occasions. I'm really not a ditz, but apparently I don't catch on very quickly. The first time, a subway attendant let us in without waiting. The other time was in an area below City Hall, and there were no attendants to be found. Erick was stunned that I could do it a second time, and I was confused. Now, what did I do wrong again? Anyway, it's funny now, but at the time waiting for 18 minutes with Sophia was no easy task. Here is Sophia waiting it out in front of City Hall.

Then Saturday morning, you've seen what Sophia looked like when she woke up at 3 a.m. She traveled much better on the way home, thanks to an air nap. And she's finally coming out of her funk. So that's the trip in a nutshell. I'm leaving out tons of fun stories. I didn't get a picture with Steve on Thursday night. I didn't take nearly enough pictures of places we ate or our dingy dorm room (did I say that out loud?). It was a great time, and I couldn't be happier to say that I've finally visited the Big Apple.

1 comment:

  1. Great summary post. The only thing you left out on the funny story on you was the fact that the wrong way has double the number of bars as the right way. It was rather funny.

    Also, you forgot to point out on the direction "discussion" that you were correct and that I was about as backwards as you can be.

    I'm glad you and Soph went.

    ReplyDelete